Friday, November 25, 2011

Snowflake Button Ornaments



Funny how even our mistakes can turn in to something beautiful... 
I was making a Christmas card last evening ~ getting frustrated
because it wasn't turning out as well as I'd hoped.  

Instead of scrapping the entire mess, 
I decided to cut out what I liked most...
a little snowflake made of buttons.

I used the other side of the card to make a second.  
Now that I've got the process down, I'll gladly share it with you...

Supplies:
white or off-white card stock (I used a plain greeting card)
fine-tipped permanent black marker
metallic pearl white acrylic paint
small paintbrush
various buttons
flat-backed clear acrylic gems
craft glue
scissors
white or off-white glitter


Write... Let it Snow in cursive, in somewhat straight lines down the paper.  The best sections are where I didn't write very well... they're more interesting.

Paint... a thin layer of the pearly white over the words.

Buttons...  I used 12 small buttons and 1 med/lg button for the center.  I played around with different combinations until I found something I liked.  If you've got buttons that are the right size but too bright, you can lightly paint them with the pearly white to tone down the color.

Glue... an acrylic gem in to the center of the large button.  Glue that down on the paper, making sure to leave plenty of room for the rest of the buttons.  Glue the small buttons down in their rows, then let everything dry for a few minutes.

Cut... around the buttons in a hexagon shape.  Cut out small triangles from between the button rows to reveal your snowflake.

Glitter... Place a few dots of glue here and there, and sprinkle glitter over your beautiful creation... done!

Here's a card I made with one of the snowflakes:




"Snowflakes are kisses from heaven."
 ~ Author Unknown ~



22 comments:

  1. Thank-you again:) I'm so glad you pass these along.

    I'm wondering how used Christmas cards would work, cut into this shape. h-m-m-m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea!!!! I was needing a project for my granddaughters and gift idea for them to make mom and all the grandmas...thank you!!!!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome... I'm glad to share ideas :) Speaking of sharing ideas... using old Christmas cards to make these is so smart :) Always looking for ways to re-purpose around here... and I have a project in the wings that I think you'll like as well... but I've got to get it out of my head and make it first!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way... I just used gold spray paint on the card and wrote with the fine-tipped marker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ones! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ended up trimming a little more paper off of my snowflakes...

    I cut out little triangles between the small buttons ... just gives the snowflakes a little more definition :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look really eye catching and are such a great example of hanging in there and keeping at it and something wonderful will come of anything xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very magical creations ~ Wow! ~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is something completely new for me, I love this, very nice , I can just see these hanging on the the tree or in a window,, beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. The white and glitter go very well together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card and so creative those snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving your creation. Beautiful, elegant and full of winter charm. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh these button snowflakes made my smile!!! they are gorgeous!!!! Thank you for sharing these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are beautiful. In the second picture they look like silver, great pictures too

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great! I especially love that you turned something that wasn't working into something completely charming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute idea! I have tons of buttons too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these! And I'm happy to meet another lavender lover! I'm putting your blog on my list of favorites! I love the things you make...and you explain HOW to make them, which helps me! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous!
    Love the text/button combo!!
    Thanks for the tutorial...will be fun to try! :)

    All the best,
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a wonderful idea, you are so creative, Megan! I love the quote about the snowflakes! Your card came out awesome!The snowflakes would make cute ornaments too! Beautiful work! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh really cute...i am a sucker for a snowflake..well of course i am ad my surname is SNOW...lol...xxx

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa