Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Don't Wish Your Life Away"

Have you ever heard this quote?  I heard it, well, several months ago now, and it's made a difference in my life... every day since.

How often do we find ourselves just wishing?  "I just wish..." or "I can't wait until..."  There are so many ways we could fill in the blanks.  I wished away some of my life's most precious moments without a second thought.  I was wishing, and didn't even realize it.

My revelation since hearing this quote: Life has only so many moments.  The celebration of life is found in the moments; in the journey.  Every single day is filled with gifts.  As a nurse I am reminded of this every time I walk in to my patients' rooms.  Some of their stories are coming to a close, while others are getting a second chance. 

When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish. -Psalm 146:4  

The good news is that the Author of our story isn't finished just yet.  We still have time to stop wishing and just enjoy the present.  As a child I loved singing "This is the Day" in Sunday school.  It's based on Psalm 118:24... This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.   

I'm so thankful to have heard that life-changing quote.  This is the day that the Lord has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it.  Every moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa